How Green We Are
We're excited to announce that we've just won a Platinum status as a Green Hotel on Trip Advisor!
We strive very hard to do our part to respect our environment and be a good steward of the land. Terre Hill has also has the distinction of winning the county award for several years for the most recyling per capita. Here's a few steps that we take at the inn:
- We donate our leftover soaps to Clean the World
- We return our vases to a local florist; she reuses them.
- We installed solar panels on the top of our Carriage House in February, 2011.This generates enough power to completely provide the needs of the all-electric vacation rental of three bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, and living room.
- Buy local produce from farms - especially the Amish and Mennonite farms
- Use Vermont Castings propane stoves exclusively to heat, thus reducing our oil consumption by 90% (we still have 2 oil-fired water heaters, but when they "go", so does the oil)
- The propane stoves at the Olde Stone Cottage have eliminated our use of oil heat there
- Have a Sani-Jet whirlpool tub at the cottage - no need to refill with water to sanitize as there are no pipes in which water can settle.
- Recycle all #1 and #2 plastic containers, papers, and metal
- Take used egg cartons back to the egg farmers
- Have UV film on our windows to save on A/C and heating costs
- Ask guests to reuse their sheets and/or towels
- Heat and cool only those rooms that are being used
- Use CF bulbs
- Recycle CF bulbs, cell phones and batteries at Lowes
- Take used magazines to a battered women's shelter
- Have lights on timers
- Newspapers are donated to farms to be used for animal bedding
- Re-use all office paper as scrap
- Have switched our paper newsletter to an online newsletter
- Grow our own herbs
- Collect all boxes and haul them away to an Amish farm that will recylcle them into horse mats
- Shop locally and support small stores
- Buy local products like flour, sausage, chicken, breads, cheese instead of brands that have been trucked across the country
- Use energy star appliances
- Combine our car trips
- Ride our bikes
- Walk to local shopping/banking/post office/church
- Use a push lawnmower and mulch grass clippings
- Do not use any chemicals or sprays on flower gardens or grass
- Collect all lawn and garden clippings and compost in town center
- Use vinegar to clean our windows
- Re-use furniture - all of our antiques have been lovingly used by other generations
- Regularly donate to Goodwill instead of throwing out
- Save our coffee cans so that Bruce's mom can distribute cookies in them at Christmas to shut-ins
- Take our plastic bags to farms so that they can use them to sell produce
TESTIMONIALS FROM HAPPY VISITORS!